Friday 26 October 2012

Yashica-Mat

What a thing of beauty. With this camera you can truly say they don't make them like the used too. It would be fair enough to say that the camera is more ornamental than practical in todays technological advanced digital age.  I now own this twin lens reflex Japanese box of fun. But what to do with it? What will I shoot with it? When will I use it? The camera is in full working order and is screaming to be loved and to be put into use on another shoot. I feel that I almost owe it to the designers of this lovely looking camera to go out and shoot with it. It uses 120 medium format film, which means it does have fantastic picture quietly that is superior to 35 mm standard film. In fact I would much prefer to use 120 over any digital camera.

 To get it right in film, to work in the bounders of limited exposures, to having to touch negatives and work exclusively to print rather than screen...... that's truly satisfying photography. Yet with this what I know to complete photographic heavenly shooting potential, I will and have turned to digital professionally.  You see "they have got you by the balls" every time because you want the flexibility and promise of image perfection in an instant, hassle free. So what do the photographers let themselves in for. Iphoneography, other camera phones and point-and-shoots. The revolution demands more from photographers because it allows anyone to be able to make good quality images. Hmm at least food for thought. Dose it touch a nerve? Yes I suppose so when it comes to social media and what joe blogs posts proudly about about their latest toy camera filtered image.

I think what I'm getting at is the fact that I have put the work in to achieve what I have done to date. So that anyone can give me any type of camera and I can always get a good picture, without excuse; and thats the clincher.  Do I have the balls to work how I want? I feel a photo shoot coming on.



No comments:

Post a Comment